Today I wanted to give you an update on the development of our fee restructure and talk a little bit about development going forward. This fee restructure was announced a few months ago and has been in development ever since. Before we get into the nuts and bolts, let's talk about development in general.
We recently had a new development resource join the team, and there's been some talk about how things will be worked on and rolled out. The team decided that it's best to continue in the philosophy that we have held to in the past: To roll out the core of a feature then follow it up with improvements in future code releases.
What this means for the fee restructure is that the next code release will contain the core functionality of said fee restructure. This is what that looks like:
- Promotion Fees will be moved from an "upfront" fee to being charged when the trade is initiated. This will allow more of our community to "promote wide" and it will flesh out what the true offers are on cards.
- Promotion Fees will be calculated based on the promoted value, not the index value. This will help us keep in step with inflation.
- Promotions will now be entered as a percentage and will be tracked as such. These will dynamically change with price changes.* As a community, we already use this language, so it seems best to improve the quality of life for those who deal with a lot of promotions.
- Percentages will now be visible in the package view. This will help new members make educated sending decisions. It also increases the quality of life for our core members.
- New Fee Percentages will be implemented. Common members will now pay 7% on promoted trades, Uncommon Members will pay 5%, and Rare Members will pay 3%. This is roughly the current rate of fees, based on a 150% promotion. If you promote above 150% you'll pay a little bit higher of a fee, but the same is true in the opposite direction: If you promote below 150% then you'll pay a lower fee than before.
The code release still needs another round of testing before we go live, but it's available right now in Flux for those who are Uncommon and Rare members. You can access flux here.
If you're going to jump in there and try it out there are a couple of things to note: First, the percentages have not been changed, so if you create a promotion in Flux and someone initiates the trade in Flux, then you will pay that promotion at the current percentage. On the flip side, if someone initiates the trade on production site (not Flux), you will not pay any fee on this . That's right, free promotions!
This will be the case until the feature is rolled out to the live site. We hope that you test things out and enjoy the little bonus if your promotions get filled.
This code release is a small step but I believe it's a step in the right direction for improving our platform. My hope is that you can see your input as a community in these changes. Many of these changes came right out of our Campfire chats and the percentage numbers were changed based on your feedback in Discord and through the survey we did. We will continue to work toward building a platform that serves you best. Thank you for reading.
Give and Let Give,
*There is some desire to keep the ability to enter a non-changing number for a card like we do now. This is on the docket to be programmed and implemented after this release.
|Jonathan Medina (@Medina_MTG) is a casual Magic player and lover of people. He has a long history of writing for various Magic sites. He's currently the Director of PucaTrade, and a semi-regular writer at GatheringMagic.com. You can find him on Twitter at @Medina_MTG|